Dr Catherine
< Back to Expert Answers
8-15 years

our son has started bedwetting again (emotional stress) and his twin sister (no longer bedwetting and hasn't for years) but she asked if she could wear drynites to help her brother feel more confident she's also been thought a lot of emotional stress and it might help her sleep better they both are not sleeping well at the moment so was wondering if I should let her wear them to bed as a comfort thing she doesn't actually need them I don't see any real problem with it but am not sure if I should

Your son is experiencing what is commonly referred to as secondary bedwetting. Secondary bedwetting appears to have two main causes: physical and psychological. Physical or medical causes can include such things as juvenile diabetes, urinary tract infections or chronic constipation. While physical causes of secondary bedwetting are rare, any child or teenager who experiences a return to nighttime wetting should consult a medical professional. The majority of secondary bedwetting results from emotional problems or psychological stress, and from what I have read in your question this seems to be more likely the cause. Typically the management of secondary nocturnal enuresis involves addressing the underlying cause. When there are significant emotional or social stressors associated with secondary bedwetting, then attention to these issues should take priority over the different treatments for bedwetting. We all react differently to stress with physical symptoms encompassing such things as ongoing headaches and stomach aches, vomiting and sleep disturbances. The sleep disturbances both of your children are experiencing are indicators of stress. Your daughter clearly wants to wear the DryNites in an effort to support her brother during this challenging time, while this is both admirable and caring there are probably more productive ways that she can show her support - we also want to care for her wellbeing at this time. Given I am responding with only limited knowledge of your situation I suggest you pursue this conversation with your GP. Kind Regards, Dr Cathrine